Just came across another very palatable video on triggering behavioural change, a TEDx talk by Jeni Cross.
In this talk, Prof. Cross mentions three common sense myths and suggests that if you want to stimulate change, don’t let those myths guide you.
#1 Education will change behaviour
- Info is not enough.
- Presentation of info matters, it needs to be tangible, personalised and at best include social interaction.
- The message should be framed as loss rather than as gain.
#2 You need to change attitudes to change behaviour
- Attitudes follow behavior instead of predicting it.
- Setting behavioural expectations (e.g. through prompts).
- Understand underlying values and connect message to existing values.
#3 People know what motivates them to take action
- e.g. social norms are more effective than people think: through social comparisons (e.g. seeing someone else already doing it (–> role model))